Sicut Erat in Principio, et nunc, et semper, et in Saeculae Saeculorum

I grew up in a steeltown that BBC World now uses to illustrate social decay in Britain. The Conservative Parliamentary candidate in my old town was a contemporary at Oxford, and has grown rich on throwaway books about sex. She offers a place in her new novel and charity drivel as an incentive to vote for her in the constituency her party devastated, whilst playing up resentment about the perception of how 'white and British' Corby is that subsists amongst her counterparts in the governing class.

There are people I went to school with who died in ditches with needles in their arm whom I have not forgotten, and friends and family who are buried in municipal cemeteries and church graveyards in England and Ireland who were young and old. I have not forgotten them, nor the lives cut short nor the disappointments of the old.

My old school was shut down by those who hated religion and the world I was handed was one in which many of the best had been cut down and we were all meant to pursue profit and calculate loss, to treat humans as assets and to rest content in a vicious social destruction which I remember even if others forget. I have not forgotten what was done.

I have seen crazy tax schemes sell the future and mad furies in the starving parts of the world bring down the molten fire that our manufacturing industry now busies itself making. One day, those 'defence' industries will either be bankrupt or back under national control where they belong.

I have known people who fight or who have fought on trust and I hold their interest in my mind even though I know what I have seen when I met killers and those who armed them.

I have known haters and I have known lovers and I have known people of all faiths and colours and religions and one day the press and the elites of this country will not spend their time dividing human beings and my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ behind the banners of the worst of their self-styled compatriots.

Understand this. One day, the fact that eighty five percent of this country's coal reserves are intact and viable will be recognised. Coal communities will have their dignity and their manhood again.

One day, we will need to build things again. We will need steel, and iron, and men and women who know all those million things it takes to build things starting with patience and strength and dignity.

One day, government will face up to what it raises and what it owes. one day, people will be educated and disciplined and raised in faith again.

One day, companies pandering to aspirational versions of basic foods will not be hiring union-busters to scuttle aroud atomizing immigrant labour.

One day, the contemptuous and the criminal of all classes and none will be held to account by fair and clear and determined law.

One day, the whole false, silly nepotism that grips debate will slip away like morning dew.

One day, efficient companies and social ownership will sit hand in hand again and the job of law will be to uphold the virtue and mobility of the people.

One day being a farmer will be worthwhile again.

One day, all that was struck and buried in the past forty years and thrown away will be recalled, and all those whose precious lives were wasted in the process will be acknowledged.

One day life will mean something, and one day family, and faith, and freedom, and democracy and clear rational decency will grip men and women again.

One day war will be a matter of regret and disdain and one day, one sweet day, the people of these islands will raise their heads and demand some dignity again.

That was what was, and which will be.

Comments

The Exile said…
Hmm, you know Barker, do you? Time to give the story another airing...

Popular Posts