And while I am on the subject of the human spirit...

China is a deeply civilised country whose people endure a great deal. They have sufffered greatly during the recent earthquake. Here's a picture of Peng Shuilin. He's been taking great strides since I last looked. Let him be a symbol of the human spirit and all that's great in a China that can get up despite everything that can be thrown at it, regardless of governments and ideologies.

Here's Paul Robeson singing Chee-Lai, which I first heard years ago, from world war two.

Comments

Titilayo said…
I love reading your blog. It's informative, witty, and frightening (food crisis? environmental problems? yikes) . I can do without the latter...but I'll keep reading...blissfully skipping over the parts that make me uncomfortable.
Martin Meenagh said…
Thank you Titilayo, I'm flattered. I hope I don't bring you down too much--remember, forewarned is forearmed. Anyway, even if the sky does fall on our heads we can laugh on the way down. All the best, Martin

Popular Posts