Ash Wednesday

The accompanying picture is by Stewart Kenneth More, whose paintings can be found on his 'wineink' site. If you like collecting, his works demonstrate his gem of a talent, though for the purposes of the law relating to misrepresentation I do not profess to any special knowledge. Part of me thinks that the face of the next four weeks should look like this, although a sacrifice for my faith should really be a celebration.

It's Ash Wednesday, so I am going to give up alcohol--I was corrected by a friend this morning, who pointed out that 'drink' includes non alcoholic liquids, apparently--for lent. I love wine, as should be obvious from some of my more fantastic yet incoherent posts.

Sacrifice occasionally is a very good thing and I recommend it to you. Giving up wine makes me think about Titian, Al Smith, prohibition, Greeks, and Calvinism. And drink. Look out for lots of faintly disguised postings in the near future....

UPDATE : Right, that's an evening of peach tea done. It was mixed with a spoonful of Whittard's Irish whiskey cream tea that I found just before they bit the dust in a Bodum Naoko pot. I have it because a pal got me it in Copenhagen.

Funny how everything becomes more precise when I sober up. Responsible. Straightforward.

Ah.

De profundis clamavi ad te, Domine:
Domine, exaudi vocem meam:
Fiant aures tuae intendentes,
in vocem deprecationis meae.
Si iniquitates observaveris, Domine:
Domine, quis sustinebit?
Quia apud te propitiatio est:
et propter legem tuam sustinui te, Domine.
Sustinuit anima mea in verbo eius:
speravit anima mea in Domino.
A custodia matutina usque ad noctem:
speret Israel in Domino.
Quia apud Dominum misericordia:
et copiosa apud eum redemptio.
Et ipse redimet Israel,
ex omnibus iniquitatibus eius.
Gloria Patri, et Filio,
et Spiritui Sancto.
Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper,
et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Comments