Seven Songs of Spring

I've been tagged, by Martin in the Margins. That means that I have to list seven songs, according to the following rubric;
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they're listening to.

I don't have a personal music player--I used to be addicted to my 'zen'device, then, when it broke, I realised that I was not listening to people around me, or thinking when I walked to work, and that I wasn't noticing things. You try and be a London version of Ben Grimm with limited left-side vision and very little coordination and see what happens! Once, someone practically bounced off me at Holborn station.

Anyway, I promised on Martin's site that I would have a go, and haven't yet got round to it. So, here goes. These songs have been playing in my head for the past two weeks, though I've left out Susan Boyle's I dreamed a dream, which I really like. Her performance made me cry, but the song is one of despair that I am not keen on; if I was going for a musical, I'd put up a link from the Richards Burton or Harris in Camelot. I've also left Ein Hundert Mann und Ein Befehl, and The Ballad of the Green Beret, because I want to save them for a post I'm thinking about on the way Barry Sadler lived and died south of the rio grande.

Soul of My Saviour
Sarabande (and that's enough of the comparisons to Ryan O'Neal and Barry Lyndon, thankyou)
The Marseillaise, sung by Mireille Mathieu in 1989
From Boulder to Birmingham in which Emmylou looks very like my friend Sara Smith.
Bring Flowers of the Fairest
God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You
The Banks of Marble sung by the Irish Brigade.

In addition, just for the sake of it, here's an Emiliana Torrini vision of The Sound of Silence set to Spiderman 3. Mad, but very memorable pop-art, which makes me think of that book on how Ayn Rand helped poison Steve Ditko's life that I read in the bath.



I cannot, I am afraid, think of anyone to 'tag'. So I am it until the next playtime, and obviously I have no musical taste as well.

Comments

Popular Posts