Somali Pirates

A different take on the pirate issue, which does not mention the law of the sea and which concentrates on development and diplomacy, can be found here. I found it stimulating, though I am curious at its determination to disavow a link between pirates and Islamists that is more properly characterised as Islamist court links with Iranian revolutionary guards and sundry east african interests.

If anything, I agree with the broad thrust of it that the pirates are simply after money, and I note the presence of Iranian ships in the world navy now off Somalia. It is always possible, of course, that some Iranians are giving some of the pirates money.

I'm still feeling my way around the issue. If any reader who really knows what they are talking about wants to write in--or indeed, anyone else--please feel free.

Comments

Popular Posts