The Olympics Act 2006, ss.19 and 22

One of the very first posts that I ever wrote concerned the way in which Britain, as opposed to the United States, had a tendency to prostitute its public space to advertising. It seemed that very few places were ever protected from the blight.

Now--and I can scarcely believe that I am writing this--people are beginning to wake up to what can be done in the name of protecting the intellectual property of big advertisers and firms. Specifically, under sections 19 and 22, police will be able to enter homes and remove anything--even of a non-commercial nature--which is deemed as a danger to the contracts entered into during, and presumably before, the Olympics of 2012 in London. A Secretary of State will do the designating.

I mean--my God. They bully you with ludicrous parking restrictions, fines, and taxes; they create cultures that snatch your children; they extract money from you and refuse to remove your rubbish; they steal from your bank accounts, and encourage the worst behaviours of banks, they sell your trains to shysters, and they allow unjust enrichment by utilities the grandparents who endured social security bullying, poor pensions, and 'care' homes paid for by taxes and homes; they more or less murder your sons and daughters in mad mountain wars; and now they enter your home and take stuff down from windows for some great contract someone else will benefit from?

And this is all done on the votes of just over twenty per cent of the electors.

Wake up. Just get off your knees, and wake up.

Comments

Mary said…
Martin,
We returned to the UK in 1996 after nearly ten years in Australia. I was shocked by all the surveillance cameras on every street corner, and that was then. I reckon they clock you everywhere you go and I'm not as paranoid as you.(smile). On our return to Australia in 2007, I expected that I would find a similar situation here, but it's nowhere near so extensive.

Last week, we had two Oxford educated girls stay with us for a while. (K, my son's beloved and her good friend).They completely failed to share my concerns over the 24 hour surveillance that is the norm in the UK. As they said, if you're not doing anything wrong, why would you care? I don't know why, and maybe I'm irrational but it doesn't feel right to me.
Martin Meenagh said…
Haha. Paranoid? Have you met these people?

I'm in two minds about the cameras myslf, since they are very useful in reassuring people. They are not nearly so useful in court, if allowed in as evidence, as far as I can tell, and obviously we have a very high crime rate. What we need are more prisons and custodial sentences.

I really don't like the state regulation of education, family life and the home though. Most people don't seem to share that concern, though a sizeable minority do, I think--they tend to be somewhat angry men, I'v noticed, though I am not.

Hope all is well, all the best

M