Bob's Challenge

Some time ago, Bob from Brockley issued a challenge. He asked his readers to name texts which they believed should be read more widely. For some reason, I overlooked the piece, but since he was good enough to mention me, I think that I would list the following books, which I'd like to see alongside a good selection of poets and playwrights on every shelf;

Christopher Lasch, The Culture of Narcississm
Bernard Bailyn, The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution
Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations
Karl Marx, Das Kapital
Edmund Burke, A Philosophical Enquiry into the Sublime
Geza Vermes, Jesus the Jew, or The Passion, or The Authentic Gospel of Jesus
St Augustine, The City of God, Confessions
JGA Pocock, The Machiavellian Moment
The Koran, and the King James Bible (especially the parts overlapping the Tanakh)
Carl Richard, The Founders and the Classics
Kant, The Prolgomena
Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Tarmas, The Passion of the Western Mind
Harold Bloom, The Canon
Everything by George Eliot, Fyodor Dosteyevsky, and Leo Tolstoy

In addition, anything by W.E.B. Dubois, Robert Hughes, Camille Paglia, Josef Ratzinger, Anthony Kenny, Malcolm X, Thomas Hobbes or (reluctantly) Jurgen Habermas would go straight onto my shelf. I loved Justinian's Flea, but it probably doesn't bear re-reading, any more than any of Tom Holland's great books. Maybe I'd put Richard Cobb, Marc Bloch or Dick Southern up there too, but only sentimentally.

Now, which artists, art critics or poets would you want on your list?

UPDATE: I have amended this list since, as Berenike points out in the comments, I initially ran Augustine and Aquinas together. I was just all excited by lists....

Comments

berenike said…
Aquinas' Confessions ?
Martin Meenagh said…
haha (hangs head in shame)...I was so carried away by the thrill of writing a list--really-- I ran Augustine and Aquinas together. Meenagh, you're a plonker!

Ah, I do so love making other people's corrections of one of my egregious mistakes yet another opportunity to write about me....

:)

Popular Posts