Indices

The other day, I suggested that there may be indices other than the Baltic dry index with which to measure the mid-term trends within global markets. If any reader knows of any, I'd be grateful to hear from them. My own researches--via Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, Ed White on Markets, and others, have turned up the following little list.

The figures culled from the list correspond to the drum I've been beating about oncoming depression, oil volatility, and global slowdown for the past few years, though some others with more experience than I of watching the markets disagree. I thought that I'd collate them on here so that you could see for yourself;

1) The Capesize Iron Ore Port Congestion Index for China; an index that purports to show the number of giant bulk commodity ships (capesize craft) waiting to get into the world's ports.

2) The Steelbenchmarker; as far as I can tell a private operation that allows for a steel futures market by making reports and predictions concerning prices for different sorts of steel.

3)The Australian Coal Port Congestion Index and the Pacific capesize Index, both of which depict a 2009 collapse here.

4) The Standard and Poor's Ratings; a collection of ratings important not so much for their accuracy (especially in terms of credit) but for the slavishness with which financial markets follow them.

Oddly enough, I find looking at these lists quite relaxing on a Sunday afternoon. God help me. Here's the Sesame Street Count teaching Cookie Monster about, well Counting, in return for which CM teaches him that 'Cookies are not a sometime food'. Those are distinguished sentiments with which I am sure we can all agree.

Comments

Popular Posts