Avatar, The Force, and Hollywood Spirituality

I think that if you want a proper play on the sort of beliefs that cultures help shape, you go to something like, oh I don't know, Khrzanovsky's film, '4', or Spring, Summer, Autumn Winter and Spring. On the other hand, if you want to know what increasingly prescriptive liberal minds think is acceptable 'faith', you look at something like Star Wars, Avatar, or Dances with Wolves. Something narcissistic that gives people the strength to live with a fairly radical form of global debt slavery without getting in the way too much, especially in abortion rooms and sex clinics, that emphasises how paying mortgage bills and the charity and environment industry with taxes and extra labour and sensual sacrifice is great, that sort of thing.

So, I was intrigued and cheered, as ever, by Father Robert Barron's take on the Movie du jour. I've praised him before, and not often enough. He ends up recommending the film, but only as a visual spectacle; if I had the time or money at the minute for a toddle down to the picture house, I might just take him up on the endorsement....



Hat Tip; Mark Shea

Comments

An American said…
Martin,

I saw Avatar over the Christmas vacation with my family. It was the most visually exciting and imaginative film I've ever seen...

However, the plot was pure liberal rubbish. It's clear that the murderous Marines are from the USA, Earth and they are there to help the evil Empire's greedy energy company steal from and pollute gorgeous Avatar and in the process destroy the natives of Avatar...the message is that Earth's people will do to the Avatarians what they've supposedly done to Native Americans and their lands...never mind that most Native American tribes are more prosperous and many times larger population than ever before.

On the other hand, I read that the new Denzel Washington film 'Book of Eli' is a Christian action film...Eli (Denzel) survives a worldwide holocaust and with the world's only Bible, believes he can successfully rebuild society only on the foundation of Judeo-Christian values.

I'm much more shocked at Book of Eli coming out of Hollywood than Avatar. :)
Martin Meenagh said…
Hello American--good to see you on here! I have to say that there is a side of me, because my grandfather was a real Gael, that identifies with the tragedy of the various tribes. I am also keen on the histories of Tecumseh and Tenkswatata. However, I can't see what the Amerindians would have done in the face of any European invasion.

I also note that the prosperity of some on the reservations is built on gambling interests.

You and all the comment have made me want to go and see Avatar more now--I may not get to though, given work this week, more's the pity.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!
Martin Meenagh said…
comiserations on Dallas' loss, by the way