A Moment of Madness

The idea of a society in which citizens actually walk the walk of giving a fig about each other is an easy one to blog about. It is easy to criticise. It is easy to look at those who took over the party that allowed my catholic comprehensive school to exist in the past, that protected the public libraries that educated me, and that established the health service that is looking after my mother and say 'be off with you'.

It is also easy to say, 'wedge issues that none of us crying in the wilderness can alter from outside should make us leave our natural home'. It's easy to respond when middle class faux-radicals tell you that you have no business in a party, or a country, and that it belongs to them to leave in a strop. It's easy to look at the people out front and mistake them for the good people in the back. It's easy to go on and on about how people are wrong on a blog.

I have many friends of a conservative inclination. They've listed me on their blogs, and I have enjoyed their company. I have friends who long ago left Labour for the left too. I have no doubt that I'll get de-listed from some sites I like for putting this up here.

But there is simply no sense in people leaving the Labour Party an empty shell to be worked by sundry hacks when it could now be a vehicle for something worthwhile again, any more than there is sense in abandoning neighbours or leaving churches or locking yourself away from the world in righteous indignation because it does not correspond to what you absolutely want.

My family came to this country from another. I grew up with working people. I went to a Catholic comprehensive. I have friends who give their time and the moments of their lives, without being saints, just to help others. I and everyone else I know still work and want to pay taxes and bring up families and want rid of racism and want a society that does its best for everyone.

It's almost certain that I can do nothing major. But I've done a small, mad thing today, and just in time to vote for Diane Abbot or Andy Burnham too.

I've gone home.

I've gone and rejoined the Labour Party that I joined when I was sixteen years old.

Comments

Popular Posts