The Sort of New Orleans Gospel Song one does not often hear.....

I found this yesterday whilst looking for a theme tune for La Palin's 'blood libel/sippenhaft' gabble. Arty Semite likes it, Generation x Yiddishe Mamme says that evil has never sounded so good (though the Horst Wessel Song's obscene corruption of My God, How Great Thou Art is memorable), Crimes Against Music lists it and Hound Blog has a recording. I wish I could see the reactions of people when they see this blog sometimes. Take it away, Sister Albertha Lewis Harris.*

*A Protestant lady, for the avoidance of doubt.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Martin,
I really find Sarah Palin's political aggression and short sightedness reprehensible beyond belief and I hope she goes quiet now and quits the political arena ( I doubt it though!). Of course when people are suffering, whether it be mentally or economically, they will be prone to following people who advocate quick and instant solutions to any perceived wrongs which is why, as most sane and just people have noted, it is important to send a balanced and constructive message to people and one that is not tinged with aggression.
Senator Giffords seemed such a balanced and honorable woman. I watched her interviews after her office was attacked and she was extremely dignified in the face of such a cowardly and unnecessary attack. I hope she manages to pull through.
Enjoying reading your blog btw!
Martin Meenagh said…
Thanks, anonymous, I'm grateful for the comment. Lots of people are hurting very badly at the minute economically, and that can do things to people's perceptions and debates too--but you are absolutely right, the likes of La Palin throwing fuel on the flames does no good at all. All the best to you!
Martin Meenagh said…
By the way, I'd just like to point out to any readers of these posts that I have the privilege of knowing sane and just people from the right and the left. I'm not convinced that those labels matter any more--its your degree of concern for your fellow human being as a person that does, I think....

Popular Posts