1,001 Songs

I have a new project, which friends have tasked me with. It is to listen to the songs on 1001 albums, spanning a period from 1955 to 2008, which are regarded as classic and have been published as such in a book called '1001 albums to hear before you die.' I intend to do one a day, to post it here (youtube permitting) and, occasionally, to add a post or a picture that goes with it. I'll also post to facebook. The first of the songs, rather appropriately given his importance in the modern canon, goes to Frank Sinatra-- In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning. This is from February 1955, and, well, take it away Francis....

UPDATE: I think that this project is much more suited to facebook, so have moved it over there. Amongst the delights of the past seven days @martinleemeenagh have been Keely Smith, Fats Domino and Vladimir Putin singing 'Blueberry Hill'. I have a feelin that the facebook medium is less permamnent than here but, then, in ten years time--will I really want jokey references to Vlad hanging around in easily accessible form?

Comments

Toni said…
Excellent song and a great album. The frenzy of pop/rock and roll seems to have diminished Sinatra's place in music a little, but this song in particular is a fine example of the mans voice and everyone who has murdered My Way or New York on a Karaoke machine should listen to it.
Martin Meenagh said…
I couldn't agree more Toni. Equally, Big Frank's presence in the radical, noirish and morally compromised period from 1940 to around 1962/3 is a reminder of how wrong popular 'white-bread' views of the fifties are.

Popular Posts