Skip to main content

George Bush

No, not that one. There is an under-appreciated connexion between the Islam that must have been floating around various circles in nineteenth-century America and Mormonism, I think, but I wonder what effect it had on the foremost American Hebraist, and the author of the first American biography of the prophet Muhammad. Studying both the Tanakh and the Koran seems to have turned the originally rational George Bush--for 'twas he, in the mid nineteenth century--into something of an occultist. He converted to Swedenborgianism and Mesmerism. Here're some of his papers for the mid-nineteenth century scholars amongst you (you know who you are).

There you are. George Bush, Mesmerist and Occultist. Just, well, not that one, before conservative cabbie strikes me off his blogroll. To be fair, I have mentioned him before.

I'm fascinated by the religions that America created. To an extent, American Catholicism is a thing built by Bishops and synthesis, but because the Bishops owned the churches rather than lay committees, I guess that it avoided becoming a sort of Voodoo pose, outside of Joan Walsh and Martha Coakley's heads. That the Church there is currently being eaten by lawyers because of the way the monumental horror of paedophilia was covered over grieves me, somewhat--I feel that I have to write that.

Still, one day, I would have liked to have written a comparison of the relationship of faith and the narcissism of the American creed. Mormonism, the Nation of Islam, and the sort of Renaissance-style Catholicism that could include both McCarthy, Kennedy, Fulton Sheen, and William Buckley would do for a start.

You look at the Irish in Ireland, and you sometimes think of Jansenism; you look at people from the same pool in America, and you see Innocent X staring out at his mistresses and Irish arms sales. I like Innocent X, by the way. Fantastic Pope, top hole. That's him in Reni's picture at the top of the blog, being trampled by St Michael just like Satan is in that sculpture on the way to Harlem, I think outside the episcopalian cathedral of St John the Divine. Now there's a work of art, so nutty that if it were a woman I'd be attracted. I remember looking at it one cold morning long ago. It has DNA, giraffes, and a peace plaque built in too.

It's pleasant to come across papers like the ones above, and the connections that they inspire in the mind. Isn't the internet a great thing? Well, I write great. If you type in 'Jansenism', you get wikipedia, a bunch of holocaust-denying fascists disguised as some mutation of the Church, and an invented country that sounds suspiciously like a Begonia. Begonias are partly named after 'Le Grand Begon', a former Governor of Haiti.

Swedenborgianism, by the way, was all the rage at one point in New England. Like many American religions, it regenerated and rebuilt an old idea, in this case amilleniallism, and held that the Last Judgment had already happened, on the spiritual plane. In consequence, it was the New Church, and the embodiment of Christ reborn. I think that Augustine and St Thomas, at least, musing on how time must not have been a constraint to God but how the Christ event changed everything before or after instantaneously must have come close to it. But, well, shorn of the whacky Mesmerists, it just doesn't compare to Rome.

My girlfriend is away this weekend. I have been eating Scotch Beef burgers, charred on the outside but otherwise very rare, sunk a few beers, watched The Shield, given tutorials on the conflict of laws and Tort limitation periods, and used the washing machine. If she doesn't come back soon, I will be writing more blogs like this. You've been warned.

Here's Richard Nixon on the piano. The joke he cracks, by the way, is a passive aggressive dig at Harry Truman, who hated him back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I resign from the Labour Party The likes of Andy Burnham, Hazel Blears, Mary Honeyball and Luke Akehurst are now representative of the Labour Party. They have at least given me a clear mind in recent days, and for that, I suppose, I should be grateful. I have been a Labour member since I was 16, in a steeltown. I can just about accept that student union hacks with no proper job experience can spend their time undercutting unions and selling public administration to their mates, because something could arise that may be better. I can also accept that some immigrants, because of a misplaced desire to avoid the appearance of racism, are more 'acceptable' to the Left than others, so my own family's Irish Catholicism can be something to be sneered at by the ranks of Labour activists. I can accept that there may be a fiscal case for not taxing the super rich with capital gains, but not for truckling to them or sucking up to the likes of Rupert Murdoch. I can accept that there mig...
A Jacksonian Republican Party Democrats in the United States frequently lay claim to the heritage of Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. They present the two as tribunes of the revolutionary people, and Jefferson-Jackson dinners are often occasions at which aspiring candidates can strut their demotic stuff, as it were. Both Presidents were opposed to coalitions made up of those they saw as 'elitists' and federal empire-builders, in the Federalist or Whig Parties. J-J (to employ a short and composite form, a bit like the creators of San Trovaso in Venice) were nationalists, tough on foreign crime, sure of their often violent support, and ferocious in the support of presidents who protected the republic. They upheld gun rights and, those of the traditional holders of property, emphasised the rights of States, and an armed citzenry, and in general thought all opposed to them belonged to some conspiracy, probably associated with Europe, to take away their Scots-Irish and democrat...
Statism in the United States of America The picture is of course of Thomas Jefferson. When out of the presidency, he defended states' rights in the name of freedom; when in it, he sent the USS enterprise to crush North African pirates and Muslim slavers, abandoned black revolutionaries like Toussaint L'Ouverture, attempted to subvert Judges, and bought Louisiana, stretching from Quebec to the Gulf of Mexico, from Napoleon without asking Congress. It used to be difficult to use European terms in the USA. 'The State' could of course mean the local sovereign entities which are far more than mere administrative units, but which also have histories and aspirations as political units that Europeans, especially from big countries, never quite understand. 'The Federal government' was a phrase apt to be mistaken. Its public face, the presidency, was often confused with the Congress, whose semi-permanent and semi-dynastic political class, with their media support structur...