So Long, MarianneSomething on Bob from Brockley's blog today, and my own intellectual pretensions, made me think of Leonard Cohen. It wasn't for once the association I have of Cohen and my own experience of America years ago that did it. Rather, I found myself thinking of the follies of the soi-disant left, and the long struggle it fought in France to establish the mad Reason of the Revolution. They all seem to hark back to that detonation, somehow. It's funny--I missed mass yesterday and feel more Catholic than I have in years.
Well, who expected consistency from me? I ask for prayers to St Martin de Porres on behalf of the confused. Since the left that slipped well away from me last year insists on fetishising the French Revolution, here's a nice version of So Long, Marianne. By the way, Bob's site is as great as ever, go have a look if you are that way inclined.
Comments