Skip to main content
The Battering of Horace Greeley


Ulysses Grant is one of my favourite American presidents, and last week I had occasion to chat about him with a friend. I always liked Grant, even before I visited his graffitoed, grown-over tomb near Harlem and Morningside Heights a decade ago. It's been cleaned up since then, but the shabby setting in the middle of Manhattan's world-city seemed somehow appropriate. This was, after all, the conqueror of Lee whom Guillaume depicted in shabby battle dress at Appomattox. To me, Lee always looks confused, and as though something was under his nose in that painting.

Grant was a failure in life who had enough humanity to know that his great achievement--saving the Union--was won at a horrible cost which should not, properly, be lauded. Later on, he became a tool of big interests, who led America to the Indian wars, a corrupt civil service, and the vast accumulation of private wealth in the hands of a monopolistic few.

Grant himself was demonised by Republicans who, after emancipation and the impeachment of President Johnson had nothing left to agree upon. Some were for hard money and gold; some were for inflation. Some were for Empire; some were for war and fraud upon the Indians. Some were for the enslavement of Chinese workers; some were for a reformation, so much so that they created a new Republican party, the Liberal republicans, whose greatest leader was a German who couldn't run for the Presidency.

Grant, of all the presidents until Eisenhower, knew how to deal with night riders and terrorists in the newly-formed Ku Klux Klan; he sent the army in and suppressed them. He got blamed for that too, by generations of polite racists, and the humiliating collapse of the 1876 election in electoral fraud, army seizure of ballots, and political decisions by members of the Supreme Court sitting in a commission was heaped on his head too.

Yet he saved the Union and spent a life chewing his cigar, painting, suffering, enduring and being, until throat cancer killed him. He made no money from office and was saved by Mark Twain's kindness from poverty. I wonder if, as he reflected on his life, he thought about the man he beat in 1872--the only man never to have won a single official vote in the electoral college, despite being nominated by two parties and winning a huge number of popular votes, Horace Greeley. (I say official, since 3 electors did vote for the dead man but were discounted).

Greeley went mad of a mixture of a broken heart and dementia before the electoral college met. He was committed to a mental hospital almost as soon as the election was over. In part, he was propelled towards this by the death of his wife, but as well by the vicious series of still extremely funny cartoons which Thomas Nast launched against him.

If you think that politics is not a blood sport, and that personal destruction has not always been de rigeur in democracies, have a look at the 'what I know about....' series of cartoons Nast launched against Greeley. Grant must have chuckled at them, but afterwards, I'd like to think he felt some pang of human regret at the impulse that compelled his side to take advantage of them. I'm in two minds about personal destruction in politics too, and I'm pleased to see that Barack Obama promised to sack anyone who sought to make Sarah Palin's children an issue.

Poor Greeley. I would have hated his moralism; his condescending distrust of the Irish; the cynicism of the racist, treasonous Democratic Party in its joint nomination of him; the naivete of the way he chose to make his prayer of twenty millions; and his unworldly righteousness. The battering he got, however, should still remind people what a dangerous set of pressures politics can unleash in democracies, and how dark its energies can be.

I don't think they will ever go away, because they come from everyone's reservoir of badness. Religion doesn't restrain them; some of the toughest operators in American politics, ever, were genuinely religious. Atheism doesn't necessarily unleash them.

I hope Greeley finally found some peace, however, at the end, and I hope Grant wished for that too.

A propos of nothing, here is my new favourite band, the National, and their song 'Fake Empire', which writing about the beginnings of a very real republican Empire made me think of.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I resign from the Labour Party The likes of Andy Burnham, Hazel Blears, Mary Honeyball and Luke Akehurst are now representative of the Labour Party. They have at least given me a clear mind in recent days, and for that, I suppose, I should be grateful. I have been a Labour member since I was 16, in a steeltown. I can just about accept that student union hacks with no proper job experience can spend their time undercutting unions and selling public administration to their mates, because something could arise that may be better. I can also accept that some immigrants, because of a misplaced desire to avoid the appearance of racism, are more 'acceptable' to the Left than others, so my own family's Irish Catholicism can be something to be sneered at by the ranks of Labour activists. I can accept that there may be a fiscal case for not taxing the super rich with capital gains, but not for truckling to them or sucking up to the likes of Rupert Murdoch. I can accept that there mig...

What really happened to JFK and America in Dallas?

 I realised some time ago that my students do not understand references to the events of November 1963 in Dallas anymore. So I have been using a break to compile a briefing book on the events, the use of commissions and enquiries to pursue particular narratives, and the embedding of the JFK assassination in American culture. This is the first chapter. It is a very long read. All mistakes are my own.  Before the Assassination Lee Harvey Oswald was a US Marine and radar operator at the Atsugi naval base, carrying an elevated clearance. He was also learning Russian and loudly proclaiming his Marxist-Leninist sympathies. These were not investigated or treated as a security risk. [1] Whilst at Atsugi, Oswald probably became one of a number of American marines in a programme to identify moles within the security establishment. This required him to cut his Marine service short by suggesting that he had to look after a sick mother, and also that he wished to seek higher education ...
A Jacksonian Republican Party Democrats in the United States frequently lay claim to the heritage of Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. They present the two as tribunes of the revolutionary people, and Jefferson-Jackson dinners are often occasions at which aspiring candidates can strut their demotic stuff, as it were. Both Presidents were opposed to coalitions made up of those they saw as 'elitists' and federal empire-builders, in the Federalist or Whig Parties. J-J (to employ a short and composite form, a bit like the creators of San Trovaso in Venice) were nationalists, tough on foreign crime, sure of their often violent support, and ferocious in the support of presidents who protected the republic. They upheld gun rights and, those of the traditional holders of property, emphasised the rights of States, and an armed citzenry, and in general thought all opposed to them belonged to some conspiracy, probably associated with Europe, to take away their Scots-Irish and democrat...