Skip to main content

Public Ownership Watch

The Libertarians are consistent and are pursuing an intellectually defensible logic. They're also as funny and insightful as the exile in polemical mode can be. I wouldn't fit with their view, partly because of my communitarianism and partly because of my Catholicism. Still, I'd like to recommend the Devil's Kitchen site to you.

One reason for that is that they keep turning up and exposing ludicrous waste. Such waste is now built into nepotistic, public-private 'partnerships' that link the third rate political hacks that run us with the grade-D 'consultants' who give them jobs after we kick them out in return for our money.

In recent weeks, I've read how the Downing Street website was fleeced for a hundred thousand pounds by designers. Maybe some of the civil servants recruited by rigorous tests and then set to stupid regulations and power games could have been diverted to save us that money. Equally, I've read about the billions being wasted on ID card schemes.

This report, however, takes the Monday Morning biscuit, unless the Bush administration hawks the statue of liberty as well as the seven hundred billion it is after for its cokehead mates in the financial industry.

It seems that the NHS IT programme has just wasted twenty billion pounds. What did they do--get a thousand numpties seconded from the departments for social regulation, the embrace of criminals, religious nutters and terrorists, and the destruction of families and free speech, to make a thousand calls to the PC World hotline?

I've flirted with the idea of flat taxes several times. Much more of this nonsense and it would make sense to abolish most of the government and stop spending on everything, and to have flat taxes.

Or, of course, to sell government operations to collectives, cooperatives, and socially-accountable or elected commissions, if you can't keep them in-house.

Unfortunately, there is a more likely alternative. It is that that part of my bank account tied to taxes will be launched on some sort of space mission--sky high and then some-- whilst I sit on the rubble waiting for the feral children below to eat each other and for pineapples to fall because of global warming. But they won't, because there isn't any.

Socially accountable public ownership. It makes more sense than the Bush-Paulson-soviet model. Is this what the west is like at the end? At least at the fall of Rome they had St Augustine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I resign from the Labour Party The likes of Andy Burnham, Hazel Blears, Mary Honeyball and Luke Akehurst are now representative of the Labour Party. They have at least given me a clear mind in recent days, and for that, I suppose, I should be grateful. I have been a Labour member since I was 16, in a steeltown. I can just about accept that student union hacks with no proper job experience can spend their time undercutting unions and selling public administration to their mates, because something could arise that may be better. I can also accept that some immigrants, because of a misplaced desire to avoid the appearance of racism, are more 'acceptable' to the Left than others, so my own family's Irish Catholicism can be something to be sneered at by the ranks of Labour activists. I can accept that there may be a fiscal case for not taxing the super rich with capital gains, but not for truckling to them or sucking up to the likes of Rupert Murdoch. I can accept that there mig...

What really happened to JFK and America in Dallas?

 I realised some time ago that my students do not understand references to the events of November 1963 in Dallas anymore. So I have been using a break to compile a briefing book on the events, the use of commissions and enquiries to pursue particular narratives, and the embedding of the JFK assassination in American culture. This is the first chapter. It is a very long read. All mistakes are my own.  Before the Assassination Lee Harvey Oswald was a US Marine and radar operator at the Atsugi naval base, carrying an elevated clearance. He was also learning Russian and loudly proclaiming his Marxist-Leninist sympathies. These were not investigated or treated as a security risk. [1] Whilst at Atsugi, Oswald probably became one of a number of American marines in a programme to identify moles within the security establishment. This required him to cut his Marine service short by suggesting that he had to look after a sick mother, and also that he wished to seek higher education ...
A Jacksonian Republican Party Democrats in the United States frequently lay claim to the heritage of Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. They present the two as tribunes of the revolutionary people, and Jefferson-Jackson dinners are often occasions at which aspiring candidates can strut their demotic stuff, as it were. Both Presidents were opposed to coalitions made up of those they saw as 'elitists' and federal empire-builders, in the Federalist or Whig Parties. J-J (to employ a short and composite form, a bit like the creators of San Trovaso in Venice) were nationalists, tough on foreign crime, sure of their often violent support, and ferocious in the support of presidents who protected the republic. They upheld gun rights and, those of the traditional holders of property, emphasised the rights of States, and an armed citzenry, and in general thought all opposed to them belonged to some conspiracy, probably associated with Europe, to take away their Scots-Irish and democrat...