The Culture of Narcissism
I was in Bath yesterday, and there and back was unusually gripped by a re-read book. Christopher Lasch's Culture of Narcissism is now over thirty years old. It deals with what always seemed to me to be the only serious bits of Freudianism--the lessons gleaned from intensive individual studies--and applies them as a metaphor to his early version of globalised society and America in an age of diminished expectations.
Almost every page throws up some truly fascinating new idea. I don't wholly agree with the book's thesis, but I would recommend it as a masterpiece to anyone. In lieu of a longer blog post which I'll put up later, have a think about buying it for yourself here.
I was in Bath yesterday, and there and back was unusually gripped by a re-read book. Christopher Lasch's Culture of Narcissism is now over thirty years old. It deals with what always seemed to me to be the only serious bits of Freudianism--the lessons gleaned from intensive individual studies--and applies them as a metaphor to his early version of globalised society and America in an age of diminished expectations.
Almost every page throws up some truly fascinating new idea. I don't wholly agree with the book's thesis, but I would recommend it as a masterpiece to anyone. In lieu of a longer blog post which I'll put up later, have a think about buying it for yourself here.
Comments