Skip to main content

Abiotic Oil, Again

There is substantial evidence that, as a civilisation, we have reached or are near peak oil. Peak oil is a term which refers to the idea that the flow of oil is now on a downward path; that it will cost more and more to extract oil; and that, though there may be a great deal of oil left, it is to be found at such depths, in such heat, and at such pressure, that it is simply uneconomic to extract it except at a very high cost. It may also be technologically difficult to do.

Assessing whether we are at Peak Oil is complicated by several factors. These include a worldwide lack of refineries; the duplicity of many oil producers, and particularly Saudi Arabia; speculation in oil contracts and futures; and the influence of regional instability and war upon price. Yet many have now come to the conclusion that oil is at its peak flow and that therefore the oil economy is approaching its end.

In such circumstances, the price of oil will not inexorably rise. Instead, since the supply is growing by less than the requirements of growth-based economies, new ways of running and providing for daily life will have to be pursued. In addition, growth in demand will have to be met with the destruction or suppression of demand elsewhere.

Further, the body of rights and legal processes we have built upon the expectation that any physical or financial differences between individuals can be compensated by technology, the proceeds of growth, or a politics based upon individual rights and the capacity of the individual to sustain themselves in work, may be displaced. Similarly, the idea that technology can displace domestic tasks in such a way as to allow multi-income households may also come under challenge.

A fall in oil availability or a rise in its cost will directly press upon food prices, and the availability of artificial fertilizer. This, combined with the use of food land for energy crops, and the use of grain for animal feed, will place food security near the top of political concerns.

So it is inevitable that some will seek, as a sort of spastic intellectual reflex, to look for fundamental ways out of the dillemae to come. One way is to dust down the idea mooted in the Soviet Union and reinforced by a 'maverick' scientist called Thomas Gold that oil is not a fossil fuel but is in fact produced by geological processes. It would be wrong to pretend that there are not lots of Russian scientists distinct from both influences who have also written on this theme. You can read about them here.

The argument for abiotic oil is superficially seductive, but has almost no scientific backing in the West. It would be wrong to say that there is not some evidence for it, but my impression is that such evidence is refutable and tendentious, at the moment. The discovery of large amounts of non-organically derived oil on other planets or moons, such as is hinted at in recent Titan missions, may deepen the debate.

Devil's Kitchen, a Libertarian site, has been provoking debate on abiotic oil from its readers. Many of these are well informed. Here is a link to a well-informed science writer, Peter Dizikes, based in Boston, which seeks to refute the abiotic oil idea. His article, hosted by Salon.com (which I love as a magazine) is cogent and very interesting.

Dizikes also makes the point that Abiotic oil has become an idea that is attractive to the furthest, but most virulent strains, of the American right. The link provided is to a relatively mild example thereof, though 'left-wing' groups also pose such questions. They do so, presumably, because they expect oil scientists to lie or to operate under some conspiracy of business, and because they distrust large corporations.

The conservative and populist critics of oil are individuals are interesting to me. They are people who tend almost automatically to react strongly against the nepotism or perceived dissonance from tradition and moral dissolution of elites by raising questions they think that others will not allow. So, in the past, for instance, such people have embraced ideas ranging from the relationship of IQ to race, conspiracy theories of politics, and projected global plans for 'North American Union' with a great deal of passion. I am not linking to any of those ideas in this post.

I think that they do so for various reasons. Take the way in which American life is disorienting and, beneath the surface, subject to tremendous psychological processes of assimilation, reconnection, narcissism, and social instability. In such circumstances, a chancer's lack of trust in other people's truths is very American. If tax collection were attached to a lottery in America, very few would evade no matter how low the chance of winning, and a similar outlook applies to ideas.

In addition to this, a religious culture which in some ways is, and always has been innovative, anticatholic, and populist might encourage one to question received wisdom and 'elites'.

I don't want any reader to think that I am necessarily making a cheap 'pro-catholic' point there, by the way. Anyone familiar with Italy's semi-insane culture of dietrologica, or even with the works of say, Ignatius Donnelly or Peter Dale Scott (who I do not know as a Catholic but believe emerged from Montreal), will see what nominal catholics or people in nominally catholic cultures are capable of.

A Scots-Irish culture, and a social divergence between the attitudes of the professional and managerial classes, versus military, agricultural and urban working castes, also leads to contrarianism. That an equally vivid and different culture exists on the left amongst academics, Jewish and orthodox communities, and those frustrated by circumstance should not detract from this point.


So, people who embrace ideas such as 'climate change isn't really happening' or 'abiotic oil exists' aren't necessarily nuts. Yet large numbers of them aren't engaging in scientific enquiry so much as in social spasm. Some, like the scientific commentators on Devil's Kitchen, and others, are I think seeking proof before they'll be convinced, but others prove themselves credulous conspiracists who see reified curiosity as the only marker of rationality.

My advice to people, as an historian and not a scientist, is to step back and ask, the next time you think you know what you know about opposition to GM food, to globalisation, or to peak oil, where your questions and ideas are really coming from. Louis Agassiz, for instance, when he was attacking Darwin's ideas, 'built an edifice of data' and made it a monument of science, when it fact it was motivated by inductive faith. Darwin built a machine to generate ideas, and won the day because his thought-child survived. Trace the intellectual context and history of an idea before you embrace it.

Some, of course, are worth defending. Here is a song and a video to which I have linked before, but which I dreamt of the other night, and which I felt a tear form for, once.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read your piece. It's an interesting focus on psychological and sociological elements surrounding the abiotic oil debate. Of course, almost any question of interest can be looked at through that prism.

And depending on your point of view, a particular set of psychological and sociological "touchstones" can be recited to reinforce the desired conclusion one wants to reach.

Science attempts to limit the biases and prejudices you refer to, and be constrained by physical and chemical laws that are objective and not subjective.

Ambiguity in scientific observation and experimentation allows biases and prejudices to creep into the scientific method, many times subconsciously.

And, so while you're right there are many reasons why people want to believe in abiotic oil, there are just as many reasons why people passionately disbelieve in abiotic oil.

In a debate with such passions on both sides of the question, it's even more encumbent to adhere strictly to the scientific method.

I have researched abiotic oil to the best of my ability following the scientific evidence wherever it may lead, exercising reasonable scientific scepticism.

I have endeavored to be objective and have explored the scientific evidence supporting both sides of the abiotic versus fossil debate.

It's the scientific method that will see us through this debate to a sound conclusion.

You say: "A wealth of evidence shows it is a fossil fuel derived from ancient marine microorganisms."

And:

"The evidence for oil's orgainic origins is robust and diverse."

While recognizing you aren't citing all scientific evidence for fossil fuel, the two items you do cite are disputed by citing contradictory scientific observations and facts.

Abiotic theory challenges the presupposition that biomarkers prove hydrocarbons' origins. The response is straightforward: As oil travels up towards the surface through sedimentary strata the oil absorbs the biocontaminates from various sedimentary layers, as oil is a good solvent. Scientific analysis of oil recovered from the basement rock (oil deeper than the sedimentary strata) has failed to detect biocontaminates down to the parts per million measurement.

So a legitimate scientific dispute exists on that count.

You report of laboratory experiments mimciking oil formation relying on a fossil fuel hypothesis.

What experiments are those? I have looked high and low and not been able to document the experiments you are refering to.

I would welcome the production of those experiments because so far in my exhaustive reseaches on this debate have found precious little laboratory evidence for fossil fuel.

In fact, my researches have revealed the scientists that support fossil theory do not have a precise idea of how the fossil process works. And never have been able to duplicate or mimic that process in the laboratory.

Please point me to the experiment or experiments that mimic the process in the laboratory. I would greatly appreciate that.

There is a large body of scientific evidence that supports abiotic theory built up over a long period of time and a sizable number of scientists from various scientific disciplines with observations from the field and from the lab reported in published scientific jounals.

The abiotic question at first instance is a scientific question. How and when and under what circumstances does oil form?

There is an objective scientific answer to this question.

The question is constrained by the laws of nature via the physical and chemical laws recognized by science.

But as you correctly point out, this debate is unquestionably freighted by political and economic implications that challenge the scientific discipline of man.

The ultimate question maybe whether man can rise to the task of the scientific method when passions inflame the debate on both sides of the issue.

It's important to follow the scientific evidence and recognize the evidence provided by both sides of the debate.

Sweeping the debate under the rug will never answer the scientific question of which there already is an answer even if man does not know it.

Nature's truth is independent of man's desire.
Martin Meenagh said…
Anaconda, thank you for a long and clearly deeply thought out comment. I make no claim to be a scientist, and I think that the quotes you use are from the Salon.com article to which I linked, not from me. I will of course accept that any error in my post was my own.

You are absolutely right to say that the evidence for non-abiotic oil, as it were, is disputed. Science seems to me to be about disputes, and it is when scientists are certain, historically, that they are most vulnerable to questioning.

I welcome debate, but I have to emphasise that I am only a general reader with an interest, not a trained scientist.

Dizikes wrote of the lab experiments; I trust salon as far as it goes not to hire mad liars. However, with you, I will hunt for source references to such a lab experiment or experiments, and as soon as I find one, I will post on this site, and on the main body of the blog what I find.

In those circumstances, I have to rely on those scientists who put forward explanations for things which I can follow, which are linked to facts, and which can be characterised as more than the equivalent of counterfactual speculation.

Just as in a similar debate on my blog over the safety of the CERN Large Hadron Collider Experiment I came down on the side of CERN, and not those who were concerned with possible alternative and dangerous scenarios with its use, I have a view in this debate.

It is that as far as anyone can explain to me, the quality and quantity of evidence is on the side of 'biotic' oil as the major constituent of oil resources on this planet.

I absolutely agree with you that 'nature's facts' have very little to do with man's truths at most times, and that debate should not be swept under the rug. I would be happy to link to any posts that you have made in the debate, or that you do make.

Any other reader of this topic is welcome to join the debate. I am afraid, because of spam, and the possibility of libellous, obscene, or criminal comments, I do not have an 'open comment policy', but I try to put everything sent to me that doesn't fall into one of the above categories on the comments. I don't like anonymous comments, but there is no automatic bar on them, so please feel free to contribute if you chance across this post and can help Anaconda and I.
Anonymous said…
Mr. Meenagh:
Your response is appreciated.
I recognize you have a broad span of interests, while mine is more focussed.

One of the challenges of the abiotic debate is understanding the competing theories.

Understanding the science supporting abiotic oil may be harder because, first, it's less well known in the general public; and, second, descriptions of abiotic oil theory, from some quarters, which clearly are opposed to the theory, do less than justice in explaining it to readers, most of whom are unfamiliar with the concept.

Rather, they create a staw man of abiotic oil and then knock it down.

As an example:

I don't know Mr. Dizikes's writing or reputation, but I'm left wondering about his tone. Nowhere, in his article is there anything more than the most cursory explanation of abiotic oil.

Not that Mr. Dizikes has to do anything -- it's his article.

But clearly, Mr. Dizikes' piece is a polemic against abiotic oil.

Mr. Dizikes' article attempts to "push" every button that can elicit bias and prejudice in the general readership of Salon.com against abiotic oil, even though, Mr. Dizikes should know there is a respected body of scientific evidence supporting it.

But you would never know that by reading his article.

If Abiotic oil is only a "myth" that none should take seriously, then why discourage anybody from reviewing the science?

Understanding a theory and its supporting scientific evidence is a prerequisite to weighing the theory on its merits.

Mr. Meenagh, you have done an admirable job, here, and I appreciate your invitation to me and your readers.

Thank you.
Martin Meenagh said…
I'm very grateful Anaconda. Good luck to you. If I ever do find any explained reference to kerogen, or to the lab experiments that Dizikes drew upon, I will put them up immediately.
Anonymous said…
Mr. Meenagh:

I thought I would present three lines of evidence for your readers and yourself to consider.

Below is the title of a scientific paper on rare crustal elements in crude oil:

Inorganic Geochemistry of Oil: First Results of the Study Using the ICP-MS Method of the East-European and West-Siberian Oil Deposits.

The "money" quote from the paper: "The elemental distribution in the crude oil from all studied deposits does not match such of any known crustal rock." -- Kirill S. Ivanov, 2007.

Available on Oil Is Mastery.

Chemical elements that are rare in the crust, but present in crude oil in elevated quanities is more consistent with a mantel origin for oil and is a solid piece of scientific evidence.

A second line of reasoning springs from the presence of diamondoids in oil. These diamondoids are diamonds on a nano-molecular scale. All oil has at least traces of diamondoids. All authorities agree natural diamonds are produced in the mantle: "They are mined from kimberlite and lamproite volcanic pipes, which can bring diamond crystals, originating from deep within the Earth where high pressures and temperatures enable them to form, to the surface." Wikipedia

Chevron scientists were only able to create diamondoids mimicking the mantle's ultra-high heat and pressure. The same ultra-high heat and pressure that J.F. Kenney was able to form the hydrocarbon suite similar to natural petroleum in the laboratory.

Chevron scientists recover diamondoids from oil.

The reasonable conclusion is that diamondoids and oil form together in the mantle and transport to the crust and then travel upward through the crust, finally lodging in oil reservoirs.

A third line of reasoning is the result of the exploration and development of the Donets oil field in Russia using abiotic principles and investigating the field with the idea of establishing, one way or the other, whether the oil field has an abiotic origin. One must appreciate the scientific observations and report on the Donets oil field. There are several "money" quotes, here is one:

"Bacteriological analysis of the oil and the examination for so-called “biological marker” molecules: The oil produced from the reservoirs in the crystalline basement rock of the Dnieper-Donets Basin has been examined particularly closely for the presence of either porphyrin molecules or “biological marker” molecules, the presence of which used to be misconstrued as "evidence" of a supposed biological origin for petroleum. None of the oil contains any such molecules, even at the ppm level."

Abiotic observations and report on Donets oil field.

These examples are provided partly, in the hope that you, Mr. Meenagh, would review the scientific evidence supporting abiotic oil.

You say, "but my impression is that such evidence is refutable and tendentious, at the moment."

Can you refute the above three examples? Or cite any authority who does? Are these examples "tendentious" or partial? What is the standard for presnting scientific evidence and how does that compare with the polemic presented by Dizikes, which you cited approvingly: "His article, hosted by Salon.com (which I love as a magazine) is cogent and very interesting."

Yes, I would try to persuade you to look closely at the science.

For it's obvious enough that you put great stock in peak oil, with much attendent economic dislocation as a consequence of its arrival.

Obviously, abiotic theory has a dramatic impact on peak oil theory, so while a scientific question -- it's central to one of the prime issues of your blog.

Oh, by the way, regarding Mr. Dizikes' reference to laboratory experiments "mimicking" fossil theory, I have had thorough discussions with oil geologists and even they could not cite a specific experiment, while Mr. Dizikes was more than willing to throw out "experiments" with no authority or back up at all.

So, hopefully, you can understand why I would be curious about Mr. Dizikes and find it interesting you would choose to cite his article.

Popular posts from this blog

I resign from the Labour Party The likes of Andy Burnham, Hazel Blears, Mary Honeyball and Luke Akehurst are now representative of the Labour Party. They have at least given me a clear mind in recent days, and for that, I suppose, I should be grateful. I have been a Labour member since I was 16, in a steeltown. I can just about accept that student union hacks with no proper job experience can spend their time undercutting unions and selling public administration to their mates, because something could arise that may be better. I can also accept that some immigrants, because of a misplaced desire to avoid the appearance of racism, are more 'acceptable' to the Left than others, so my own family's Irish Catholicism can be something to be sneered at by the ranks of Labour activists. I can accept that there may be a fiscal case for not taxing the super rich with capital gains, but not for truckling to them or sucking up to the likes of Rupert Murdoch. I can accept that there mig...
A Jacksonian Republican Party Democrats in the United States frequently lay claim to the heritage of Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. They present the two as tribunes of the revolutionary people, and Jefferson-Jackson dinners are often occasions at which aspiring candidates can strut their demotic stuff, as it were. Both Presidents were opposed to coalitions made up of those they saw as 'elitists' and federal empire-builders, in the Federalist or Whig Parties. J-J (to employ a short and composite form, a bit like the creators of San Trovaso in Venice) were nationalists, tough on foreign crime, sure of their often violent support, and ferocious in the support of presidents who protected the republic. They upheld gun rights and, those of the traditional holders of property, emphasised the rights of States, and an armed citzenry, and in general thought all opposed to them belonged to some conspiracy, probably associated with Europe, to take away their Scots-Irish and democrat...
In Defence of The Pope In recent days, wild allegations, and frankly mad chains of causation, have been constructed around Pope Benedict. I don't think that I have anything to prove on my attitude to the disgusting things that were done by men breaking their vows, who were often protected by Bishops who were also in a deranged relationship with their duty. However, I do intensely dislike the stupidity of some of the assault. England seems particularly gripped by antipapist feeling. This has been true in its past, when the country is under pressure, and has been a strand in its identity since 1533. It emerges at times of great pressure, like the 1850s or 1730s, often when the English people realise that someone is undermining and impoverishing them and fail to see that the culprits are their own elites. However, it now seems clear that Josef Ratzinger, when a cardinal, was involved in a process that extended the time in which victims of sexual violence could bring clai ms beyond tha...